When it comes to finding heart healthy snacks in your breakroom, there are a few things you want to keep in mind. First, aim for foods that are high in fiber and protein and low in saturated fat and sodium. Second, avoid processed foods and opt for fresh options whenever possible. Third, choose snacks that are portion controlled so you don't overdo it.
With those guidelines in mind, here are some great heart healthy snack options for your breakroom:
1. Fresh fruit and vegetables: This is an obvious choice, but it's worth repeating because fresh fruits and vegetables are some of the best foods you can eat for your heart. They're low in calories and saturated fat, and high in fiber and nutrients. Plus, they're easy to grab and go.
2. Whole grain crackers: Look for crackers that are made with whole wheat or another whole grain. They'll be higher in fiber than their refined counterparts, and they'll also provide some protein and heart-healthy fats.
3. Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are a great source of heart-healthy fats, protein, and fiber. They're also filling and satisfying, making them a perfect snack to help you avoid unhealthy vending machine options.
4. Dried fruit: Dried fruit is a great alternative to candy from the vending machine. Just be sure to choose varieties that are unsweetened and don't have added sugar. dried fruit is a great source of fiber and nutrients, and it can help you satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way.
Avoid these unhealthy vending machine options:
1. Chips: Chips are high in calories, fat, and sodium. They're also devoid of any nutritional value. If you're looking for a salty snack, opt for whole grain crackers or nuts and seeds instead.
2. Candy: Like chips, candy is high in calories and sugar. It's also low in nutrients. If you're craving something sweet, reach for dried fruit instead.
3. Soda: Soda is loaded with sugar and empty calories. It's also a major contributor to weight gain. If you're thirsty, reach for water or unsweetened iced tea instead.
4. Cookies: Cookies are high in sugar and calories. They're also typically made with refined flour, which isn't great for your heart. If you're in the mood for something sweet, try fresh fruit or whole grain crackers instead.
Breaktime Vending can help your break room be a healthier place for you and your employees. Reach out to us today to learn more